Featured in the USA Today's 202110Best Readers’ Choice Awards contest, the Detroit Riverwalk takes top honors as best in America.
The riverfront redevelopment in Detroit, a city with 14 miles of shoreline along the Detroit River, is one of the city's most exciting initiatives. The East Riverfront of the Detroit International RiverWalk stretches from Joe Louis Arena to Gabriel Richard Park and includes several parks, restaurants, splash parks and natural areas.
The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy invested over $200 million in the revitalization of the attraction, which has generated over $2 billion in public and private investments according to reports. “The Detroit Riverfront is a very special place for our city, and we are honored by this recognition,” said Detroit Riverfront Conservancy board chairman Matt Cullen in a news release.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Riverwalk are as follows:
- Detroit International RiverWalk - Detroit
- Wilmington Riverwalk - Wilmington, North Carolina
- Schuylkill River Trail - Philadelphia
- San Antonio River Walk - San Antonio
- Smale Riverfront Park - Cincinnati
- Waterfront Park - Louisville
- Bricktown - Oklahoma City
- Mississippi Riverwalk - Dubuque, Iowa
- Chicago Riverwalk - Chicago
- Charles River Esplanade - Boston