Tonight the FordFireworks kick off at (:55p! But withgreat excitement comes great traffic. heres a list of clousures that will begin around 5p and last until midnight or 2a.
- Woodward Avenue
- Jefferson Avenue between Griswold and Woodward Avenue
- Westbound West Jefferson Avenue
- Madison Street
- Monroe Street between Randolph and Woodward Avenue
- Third Street at West Jefferson
- Southbound M-10 between I-75 and Griswold
- Southbound I-375 between I-75 and Beaubien
- Southbound Gratiot Connector ramp to southbound I-375
Inbound ramp closures will be in effect from 6 p.m. to midnight at the following locations:
- Northbound and southbound M-10 exits to W. Jefferson Avenue
- Mack Avenue ramp to southbound I-75
- Forrest ramp to southbound M-10
Outbound ramp closures will be in effect from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at the following locations:
- Northbound I-75 exit to Mack Avenue
- Mack Avenue to northbound I-75
- Northbound M-10 exit to Forrest
- Northbound I-75 exit to Warren Avenue
- Warren Avenue ramp to northbound I-75
Changes to traffic flow
Surface streets south of Jefferson between Rivard and Joseph Campau will be closed to all cars and pedestrians beginning at 2 p.m.
There will be no cars allowed south of Jefferson from Third to Joseph Campau.
All of the following traffic changes will go into effect at 6 p.m. as well.
- Cars on Gratiot Avenue between I-375 and Randolph will be routed one way northbound only.
- Cars on Monroe between Randolph and I-375 will be routed to travel eastbound only.
- Traffic on Trumbull between west Fort Street and Fisher Freeway will be routed to travel northbound only.
- Michigan Avenue traffic will be westbound only.
- Traffic on Larned and Congress will be allowed, but no southbound turns off those roads will be allowed except those going to the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel via Randolph.
- Fort Street traffic between Cabacier and Rosa Parks Boulevard will be restricted to residents of the Riverfront Towers Apartments/Condominiums.
Michigan, Grand River, Gratiot, East Grand Boulevard and West Grand Boulevard will stay open to let drivers access freeways. Woodward will remain open north of the Fisher Freeway service drive.
Traffic flow after the fireworks
The following traffic flow changes are going into effect after the fireworks are over to help with the immense number of cars leaving the downtown Detroit area.
- St. Antoine traffic flow will be one way northbound from Atwater.
- Woodbridge, Franklin and Atwater between St. Antoine and Rivard will be one way eastbound.
- Rivard will be one way northbound from Atwater to Lafayette.
- E. Grand Blvd. will be used for outbound traffic from Belle Isle.
The Municipal Parking Department will offer parking at the following garages:
- Ford Underground Garage, 30 E. Jefferson Avenue: This garage will be open from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Monday. It will cost $10.
- Millennium Garage, 432 W. Congress Street: This garage will be open for 24 hours on Monday. It will also cost $10.
Joe Louis Arena Garage on 900 W. Jefferson Avenue will be closed.
The parking department also wants to remind the public that viewing the fireworks from any parking garage and tailgating is not allowed.
Parking on the street
Parking meters will not be enforced after 5 p.m., but drivers may still be ticketed for parking too close to crosswalks, intersections and fire hydrants or for parking in designated zones, like handicap parking spaces or fire lanes.
No parking will be allowed on Civic Center Drive, Atwater to St. Aubin and on West Jefferson between 23rd and St. Anne.
If you car is towed in the downtown area, it will be at 2121 W. Fort Street. Vehicles towed on Belle Isle will remain there. Free shuttles to tow lots will be available from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m., which is when the lots close. The fee for towing is $215.
Buses and other public transportation
Many bus routes are affected by Monday's fireworks, so check below to see if yours is. Also, passengers must have a DDOT transfer to receive a People Mover token from DDOT personnel.
QLine service will end southbound at the Sproat Station and begin northbound at Adelaide starting at 6 p.m. In addition, QLine will run its standard weekday house, running until midnight.
Between 5-11 p.m., the following routes will end at the Bricktown People Mover Station on Beaubien between Congress and Lafayette. Passengers going to the Rosa Parks Transit Center should board the Bricktown People Mover and exit at Times Square Station.
- No. 7 Cadillac-Harper
- No. 10 Chene
- No. 25 Jefferson
- No. 40 Russell
- No. 48 Van Dyke
Also starting at 5 p.m., the Dexter and Woodward routes will end at the Rosa Parks Transit Center.
Passengers at the Rosa Parks Transit Center traveling east should board the People Mover at the Times Square Station and exit at Bricktown Station to board the eastbound coaches.
Additional services will be provided after the fireworks leaving downtown on an as-needed basis.
Coaches will leave from the Rosa Parks Transit Center westbound and eastbound until 1 a.m. as needed. Coaches will depart from Bricktown People Mover Station on Beaubien between E. Congress and E. Lafayette eastbound only until 11 p.m.
The Detroit People Mover will operate from 6:30 p.m. until midnight. After 2 p.m., the People Mover will bypass Millender Center and guests must enter the hotel using the elevated pedestrian bridge. The Financiald District Station is the closest station within walking distance of Hart Plaza and the next station following Millender Center.
BEST PLACES TO WATCH THE SHOW
Hart Plaza, Belle Isle, Mt. Elliott Park, Owens Park, Riverside Park, and Erma Henderson Park